Monday, March 26, 2012

Self-Publishing Success Stories: Jake Barton

This particular success story is about an author who has great sales, despite little or no marketing/promotion.

Excerpt (December 26, 2011):

It’s just over 66,000 paid sales in the UK alone and another 7,000 of my ‘free’ book. ‘Burn, Baby, Burn’ hit the Amazon Top Ten for a while and stayed in the Top 100 for 178 days, almost six months.

When the year began I never anticipated anything like this. My book barely sold a copy until mid-March so those sales figures relate to nine months of 2011. All this despite my complete inability to understand ‘marketing’ or find a means of publicising my books that I didn’t regard as tasteless self-promotion. Success in spite of my efforts, it’s fair to say!

Read the whole blog post here: http://jakebarton.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/psst-wanna-be-rich-and-famous/ 
(recommended read:  he talked of being approached by a Big Publisher, including a dinner with the UK head honcho at Savoy.  Read and find out for yourself what happened next).

Jake updated his sales # in March 2012.
http://jakebarton.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/i-want-you-i-need-you/

A couple of days ago I realised it had been exactly a year since my first book, Burn, Baby, Burn sold its very first copy. I added up the totals for the year and find I am an author with 83,712 book sales to his credit – will be a few more by now.

Having so many complete strangers reading my books has been a joy, but I make no discernible effort to increase book sales. Benign neglect has served me well enough up to now and even with four books in print I allow them to languish without making any attempt to drum up sales. Yes, I have an online presence, of sorts, but as this is confined to what an unkind person described as ‘acting like a tit on Twitter’ it’s not a marketing system I’d advise others to follow.

So yes, it is possible for an indie author to sell VERY with little or not promotion.  Wouldn't it be wonder to just write a novel, put it out and not worry about marketing/promotion? (and still be wildly successful?)


Highlighting some of the author's books:






Back to Main Page
Link to Top 100 Books Ranking (by genre) as rated by Readers



No comments:

Post a Comment